Stories by Ajuwa Victor Asaba
Tragedy struck in Owanta Alosimi area of Ika North East Local Government Area of Delta State when 15-year-old, Vivian Monye, was electrocuted while assisting her father in cleanup exercise after the flood that devastated their apartment. According to her father, Mr Moses Monye, the late Vivian was assisting him alongside the twin brother to bail out water that took over their apartment after the heavy downpour when the Benin Electricity Development Company [BEDC] restored power to the area.
He said that the spark that resulted caused panic, explaining that while they ran out of the flat, his daughter was stuck and gave up the ghost before they could render any assistance.
Vivian, who was a student of the community secondary school, her father said, was his only daughter and had been coping in the upbringing of her siblings since he lost his wife five years ago.
Meanwhile, the State Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr Ernest Ogwezzy, while condoling with the family, expressed the state government’s heart-felt sympathy.
Ogwezzy urged the family to look up to God, saying the state government was working round the clock to address the challenges faced by the people. He said that provisions had been made for those affected by the flood, adding that state government had stepped up measures towards assisting them.
READ ALSO: Stabbed baby dumped in Onitsha drainage